Monday, August 4, 2008

NEPHEWS & NEICES

I have been an Aunt for 11 years now. I have 5 nephews and 5 neices. My brother has three children, my sister has five children, and Jeff's sister has two children (well she is a step-mom as well to two children that are not a part of the count above). I have tried to play a bigger role in their lives than just an Aunt they see every so often. The much larger need is for them to know my children, their cousins. I feel family is so important and played a very large role in my growing up. My best friends were my cousins! I may not see them often now, but when we do get together we have great times. We just pickup where we left off...
My brother's children lived in WA at one time and are now in MI. It has been and is very difficult to build the relationship that I want with them. I so wish they could be closer to us, but hope that as they get older and can fly on their own that they can come spend a week or so in the summer with me and my kids.
My sister's children live pretty close. I see them at least once a month, if not more. During the times they are not in school I try to get the kids and do something special with them and my kids. It is very stressful at times...my sister has a lot of kids and then to add my two on that. I know Joshua enjoys being with them and Andrew will someday too, so I will suck it up for a few days here and there.
Jeff's sister kids are new to the world and live in SC, so the times we will get to visit with them will not be once a month. However, they are 4 months old and we have seen them twice already and will see them at the end of the month. The bond will soon grow strong!
If you have nephews or neices please take the time to get to know them and make them a part of your life. Special times, memorable times, times that will shape them are to be had!

No comments: