Sunday, July 6, 2008

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION?

I feel that everything I have or am I have worked hard for. Now, don't get me wrong. I do feel blessed by the Lord in many ways. One way I know he is with me is that he has put people in my life that assist me in making good decisions. He is also my motivation! I do admit that he is not my sole motivation (I am working on this). Depending on what we are talking about in relation to my life depends on what motivates me. Take for example my workout life. I have slacked in working out lately. I can give you a ton of reasons as to why...good reasons too. However, what does that get me? It gets me feeling the way I do today...lazy, angry, and worthless. No one wants to feel that way. Sometime you have to wake in the morning and "Just Do it", Nike has it right, so you don't have time to think of all the excuses to get you out of working out (or cleaning, or gardening, or making dinner, or anything).
I worked out tonight for the first time in a long while. I jogged for about 30 minutes adding some calisthenics while jogging. My recent motivation came from the Summer Olympics. I have been watching the Olympic trials...watching them makes me want to be in tip top shape, to be better. Although some would argue that it motivates me because I am competitive...okay, maybe so. I know that I cannot beat these people, but I know I can be better than my current self. Just enough motivation!
What is your motivation? What makes you get off the couch, or computer, and do something for your health? Let me add that my husband is and will always be a motivation as well. He and I workout well together. We do not play sports well together since we are so competitive...we push each other in a good way to be healthier...now if we can get back on that kick with two kids.
Workout of the month...add to your workout a shuffle step (think guarding an opponent in basketball). I did it the length of my street on the right and the left. Be sure to push yourself, but don't burn yourself out the first time. This will give you strength in your thighs.
Good luck and let me know what motivates you...maybe someone will read and be motivated by what you write.

1 comment:

Meredith Braaten, CD(DONA) said...

Oh, I just can't help but smile. TO bad you don't live closer, maybe you could motivate me. I don't have motivation, that's the problem!!! LOL! I danced for years b/c I loved it. Everything related to that, I love to do...like step aerobics, which is everything my orth. surgeon told me to STOP doing. (knees are shot) Before I got preg. for the 2nd time, I had met a trainer who was going to teach me how to work out knee-problem style, basically modifying everything, and helping me to learn to love new stuff.

But now I'm preg. and this time I have a 2 year old, moved into a new house, and won't stop going on vacations which leaves no time to work out! Except yoga...Oh, how I love it.

Well, back to chocolate covered pretzels...