Monday, April 13, 2009

NAKEDNESS

Does anyone else have a problem with their child being naked? Joshua has had moments in the past where he tries to put his naked bottom on his dad. Joshua knows that Jeff does not like it. After he would get out of the bath he would chase Jeff around the house to touch his bottom to Jeff. Jeff explained to him that it was not funny and not a nice things to do at all. Another time I caught Joshua chasing his cousins around the house with his bottom showing. Again, he was trying to rub his bottom on his cousin (he was 2 and he has never done this again). Then tonight after he got out of the bath he put underwear on. As we were sitting on the couch he is constantly playing with his underwear. I was ignoring it because I did not think it was hurting anyone. Then he pulled his underwear down over his bottom and was just sitting there naked bottom on my couch. I asked him to not do that because it was rude to just sit there with his bottom hanging out. After I put Andrew down for bed I walked back into the family room and there is Joshua sitting on the couch underwear at his knees. WHAT? I said, "Joshua, we don't sit on the couch with our bare bottom. Please pull your underwear up and not do that again."
What do you say to this? Honestly I find it rather funny for a second and then get irritated with it. Jeff and I don't sit in the family room naked. Heck, we don't chase each other around the house naked. I know that kids find their body parts interesting, but he is 4 and he is so comfortable with his nakedness it might get him into trouble soon. I hope this does not mean he will be a nudist one day...!

1 comment:

Meredith Braaten, CD(DONA) said...

I would say that he knows its driving y'all crazy so he's doing it to antagonize. To be funny.

Cade runs around bottomless quite often especially after going to the bathroom and we find it hilarious! When we were at Pepa's house, he even crawled (bottomless) up into his lap to get him to read to him. It was a riot. (Not to mention that my Pepa is pretty much blind so he had no idea and he couldn't really read the book to him.)

We're okay with the nakedness. I think its adorable that he can run around innocently and without inhibition. Sadly, that won't last long.

Back to J, just tell him when its "appropriate" and "inappropriate" instead of gross or nasty to be bottomless. Honestly, I think he already knows. He's just trying to get a laugh!