Thursday, May 29, 2008

"@#$%" AT THE PLAY GROUND

Joshua, Andrew, and I went to the play ground a block from our house this evening. The play ground had a handful of kids, all boys. There was a softball game being played at the field next to the play ground, which is where all the parents of the kids who were playing on the play ground were. I make that point because there was language coming out of one of the kid's mouth that I did not appreciate, especially around Joshua and Andrew. I ignored the first time he said it...looked around for a parent, but I did not say anything. Of course, Joshua runs over to me and said, "That boy said @#$%." I told Joshua that I had heard him and we do not talk that way...side note: I started to tell Joshua that, "Unless you can give me a definition for the word you repeat after Mommy, Daddy, or anyone then you cannot say it."...The next time the kid said @#$%, I gave him this evil eye. The third and fourth time (back to back) he blurted out the explitive I said, "Excuse me boys! Can you please stop using that language? I have a three year old here!" They then began looking at me from a distance and whispering. However, I did not hear them say anything inappropriate again. Joshua of course wanted to run around with these kids. I asked Joshua to find other kids to play with. I would hate for Joshua to feel left out when I tell him he cannot play with certain kids, but I do not want him thinking their words or actions (after I confronted them) is acceptable.

What would you do? Do you go to the parent, who is not around to monitor their kids actions or words? Do you say something to the kid(s)? Do you just ignore it and talk to your own child about it? Do you do a combination?

4 comments:

Heather Coleman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather Coleman said...

I think you did the right thing by asking the kids to stop. Hopefully your words will do something to help them realize what they were doing isn't the right way to act. Obviously the parents aren't telling them. I guess you also have to talk to your child about appropriate words too. So far I haven't had to have that conversation with Blake, but I'm sure we'll encounter a similar situation any time now. Thanks for giving me a heads up and making me think about it ahead of time.

Meredith Braaten, CD(DONA) said...

Honestly, the only time I've been around kids who were acting inappropriately is when parents are no where around. I say something to the kids...you know in my teacher voice & teacher words. Non-emotional but to the point.

Newman Family Blog said...

I definitely think that you did the right thing.