Sunday, May 18, 2008

IMPORTANCE OF FAMILY

We went to my family reunion this past Saturday. The reunion started about 3 years ago for my Great Grandmother's children and their families, my Dad's side. It is in East Texas at my Great Grandmother's house. When she is no longer with us the reunion will be moved to Oklahoma.
There are a number of us. My Great Grandmother has three daughters, who each had four to five children, who each had a number of children, who each had a number of children...so forth and so on. Joshua and Andrew are fifth generation. The oldest fifth generation is almost 18, he was not there, and the youngest is almost 4 months old (see picture of Jack and Annie, twins).
My Great Grandmother has a small house, so we all hang out outside. We also rent a port-a-potty so that the two bathrooms do not get overloaded with everyone...ask Jeff what it is like to take a 3 year old to a port-a-potty when he has to go #2. Thank God for the awesome weather!
We play horse shoes, volleyball, baseball, football, frisbee, and the youngest of the kids just run around and play with various toys brought. This year we added bingo and a raffle of various gifts (Lost Game, Desperate Housewives Game, stuff for kids, etc...).
We all bring food. This year we had hamburgers, hot dogs, potato salad, baked beans, chips, etc...plenty of food. We end up bringing too much.
There were about 86 people there this year. The first year we had about 35-40, so we are growing. Side note...there are about 103 blood members of the family, counting Great Grandma (89 years old), not counting step-children, and not counting spouses (5 generations).
My Grandmother and Great Grandmother did not make it to the reunion. My Great Grandmother is in the hospital and she needs someone with her at all times. Please keep her in your prayers and the decisions that will have to be made for her care.
I look forward to catching up with everyone each year. I hope you all get a chance to spend time with your immediate and distant relatives. I will cherish these memories...there is nothing like family!


Posted by Picasa

No comments: